First IVF Cycle at Age 43!
Home | About DesignRx | Provider Resources  
DesignRx Forums
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home     

««123»»

First IVF Cycle at Age 43! Expand / Collapse
1/17/2016 5:08 PM
I should tell you, when I went for my very first ultrasound at 5 weeks and 6 days, all we could see was the gestational sac. We couldn't see the heartbeat. They weren't concerned at all, they just said it was too early, but I was a bit nervous until the next one, one week later, when we could easily see it. A lot changes in one week! I'm just telling you that in case you have the same thing. Given your past experiences, it would be very easy to freak out. I've also had a little bit of spotting and cramping here and there which is always scary, but I really think it's because of the progesterone suppositories. I hate those things - can't WAIT to be done with them! Just know that these things can happen while everything is just fine with baby. My birthday is July 6 (same as my husband's!) So I will turn 44 about 2 months before our little guy is born!

1/17/2016 11:57 AM
I like your approach and I'm going to use it as well. If someone ask, then I'll tell them it was IVF but I'm not going to advertise it......hopefully I get to that point. Yes, I'm optimistic but just trying to protect myself as well. I think I told you in a previous email that we have been pregnant 2x in the past 1 1/2 year. The first one was a blighted ovum and that was SO disappointing!!!! I was so excited when we went in to see the heartbeat and it was an empty sac :'( Then the second miscarriage was a chemical pregnancy so I keep thinking that 3 times is a charm and knowing this is a chromosomal good embryo, does make me feel more confident. I hope to see the little heart beat!!!
I started all the meds last night and additional shots. You know what I'm more nervous about? Going in with a full bladder!!! I swear I have the smallest bladder and constantly have to pee and I can't hold it long or I'm in PAIN!!! When I went in for the mock transfer, I was pulling at my hair in pain because my bladder was too full. Thank god the ultra sound tech gave me a cup and told me to pee only enough to fill the cup and that worked great! Hahaha I'm goofy.
Ok, I will definitely keep you updated. Thank you so much for helping me through this and your words of encouragement. Your last post totally uplifted me and made me feel more confident!!
When your bday? Mine is the 26th this month. I'll be 44. Oh, and what has the response been when you have told people that you are pregnant??
Have a wonderful day!!!

1/16/2016 9:14 AM
I'm so excited for you! After coming this far, you already beaten most of the odds so you have every reason to be optimistic and excited! The meds are crazy, aren't they? I feel like I'm putting estrogen and progesterone into my body in every way possible! (Well, I am really) I have about 2 1/2 weeks left and then I should be able to stop all those meds. I can't wait to hear how your transfer went! To answer your questions, after we saw the heartbeat we told everyone, because after a positive 6 week ultrasound, especially with a chromosomally normal embryo, the risk of miscarriage is minimal. We're not keeping the fact that it was IVF a secret, but we're not advertising it either. I want to be able to help and encourage other women going through this, but at the same time, I just feel like it's personal and just none of some people's business! Haha. I do have nausea on and off, which is weird because I never really had that with my other pregnancies. I'm not complaining though!! Please do keep me posted!!

1/15/2016 3:08 PM
Hey!! Great News!!!! I'm so happy to hear how well it is all going.
I went to the doctors today and I have my transfer next Thursday the 21st!!!! I'm so excited. I got all my meds that I will be doing this week and boy its a lot! I hope I keep it all straight. I'm trying to keep positive. I asked about the embryo that they will use and thaw. They said the lab will call me next week to discuss which embryo we will use and the doctor said that because the embryo tested good, that it has a 90% survival rate of making it through the thaw so that has put my mind to rest in that area. I'm just trying not to get too ahead of myself because I don't want to be disappointed but its SO hard not getting excited!!! I told the doctor today that I'm so grateful that I've made it this far!!! And the doctor said that since I have a chromosomal good embryo my pregnancy rate goes up to 60% from 3% to 5% because of my age!!! And I have you, who is my age and another woman I'm talking to online and she is 44 and used her own egg and preg so send baby dust!!!!
Have you told many people? When you do tell, have you told them you did IVF or not? Are you having any sickness?
I'll keep you posted!!!!!
:-D

1/14/2016 8:59 PM
I've been so busy and time is flying by!! Here's an update - I'm 7 weeks and 1 day now. We had our second ultrasound on Tuesday and saw baby's heartbeat, flickering away at 125 bpm. One of the most beautiful things I've ever seen! He measured 7.5mm crown to rump, so all is well. It feels much more real now that we've seen his heartbeat. We will have our last appt at the fertility center on Feb 2, at which point we will graduate to our OB! Our first prenatal appt with her is on Feb 8. How's it going with you Hopeful?

12/31/2015 9:37 AM
That is so great!!! Yes, next is my turn and I hope to have the same results!!! I start tomorrow with the estrace.....its so exciting!!
Have you told many people yet? I bet your kids are super excited!
Happy New Year to you and your family!!!!

12/30/2015 7:50 PM
3rd Beta result is in - 15dp5dt, my beta was 2330! Hooray!!! Our first ultrasound is on Tuesday morning. Maybe after that, I will start to relax a bit, but for now, we are thrilled. Thank you for all the prayers and positive vibes. It's really helped me to get through this. Now it's your turn!

12/29/2015 12:25 PM
I didn't see your post but that is great news!!!!!!! Keep me posted!!! I love hearing it!!
The other lady I'm talking to, who didn't think she got any embryos, found out she has 1 good boy embryo. She was hoping for a girl because she has 3 boys from her first marriage and her husband has 1 but she is so grateful and happy and is excited to do transfer too! I happy for her as well. She and I just need to get to the next step!!!

12/29/2015 12:21 PM
So I went yesterday and had a sonogram and blood work. Everything looked good and blood work came back good. I start on the 1st taking estrace and cutting back on Lupron. They said my transfer will be the week after the 15th, so either 19th, 20th or 21st. My bday is the following week so I hope all goes well and I get a wonderful bday gift of a positive test.
How are you?

12/29/2015 12:00 PM
Thank you! We're so excited. I had my third beta this morning so I'll let you know how that one comes out. I did one last HPT this morning though and the line is now darker than the control line and showed up before it, so I'm feeling optimistic! How was your sonogram? No surprises, I hope. Soon you'll be well on your way to transfer. I can't wait to celebrate your bfp!!

12/27/2015 8:30 PM
WOOHOO!!!! That's such Awesome news!!!!!! Congrats to you!!!! This is so great to hear all these success stories!!
I go in tomorrow for Sonogram and to see how everything looks (I did start my period on Christmas morning) so now to the next step!!!
I'll let you tomorrow what they say!

12/24/2015 3:12 PM
HCG level 10p5dt is 233!!! We are definitely pregnant!! Ultrasound will be in about 9 days.

12/23/2015 9:46 PM
I'm feeling pretty good! Starting to have some mild nausea now and then, and the crampy feelings I had been having since transfer seem to be gone now so that's good. Next blood test is tomorrow morning. I'll keep you posted!! All home pregnancy tests are still strongly positive, so all seems to be well.

12/23/2015 1:39 PM
How are you feeling????
Yeah its confusing but they are telling me to stay on the Lupron so I am.
When do you do your blood test?

12/21/2015 2:13 PM
Lol, I'm doing daily home pregnancy tests like a crazy person, but they reassure me so much! That line is getting darker and darker every day! So please pray for a nice high HCG level on Thursday! Yes, I've been doing meditation, and I had acupuncture right before my transfer, then 3 days of bedrest. I also ate pineapple core starting the day of transfer and the 3 days following. I'll be praying for us all! (Ugh, I found the days leading up to transfer super-frustrating. I didn't understand the med protocol either, and I'm a registered nurse! And it kept changing! I had three periods in six weeks! Hang in there, it will all be worth it!)

12/21/2015 12:00 PM
AWESOME!!!!!!! Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I've been crazy busy with work. That is so freaking exciting to hear!!!!! Yes, grow baby!!!! Ok, so you did the mediation, acupuncture and bed rest? I need to get it down what you did so I'll do the same.
Oh, the girl I'm talking to ended up with 2 embryos!!!! She thought there was only one but another survived and she is having them PGS tested now and will hear Christmas Eve! I'm praying for her too.
I'm so freaking happy for you!!! Keep up the positive thoughts and keep me posted.
Im waiting to start my period so I can get the sono gram and then determine the transfer date. I'm confused because they have me doing Lupron shots, which holds off your period but they want me to have a period????
I'll keep you positive too.
((((HUGS)))))

12/19/2015 10:18 PM
Well, they checked my hcg level today along with my progesterone and estradiol, and.........it was positive!!!! I'm only 5dp5dt, so I didn't think there was any way this could be happening this early but Dr S called me himself to say congratulations! My hcg level today was 7 and they consider anything above 5 pregnant!! I'm completely floored. I feel like I'm dreaming! My husband and I are on cloud nine!! My next blood test is Christmas Eve. Grow, baby grow!! I also did a hot this morning and got a very very VERY faint positive. I'll be testing every morning now so I can watch that line darken.

12/16/2015 11:34 AM
Wow - that's so sad, about the other lady you're talking to. I obsessively read other forums and blogs and when I hear about the experiences of other people, I'm really astounded and so, so grateful to have made it this far. It truly is a miracle! For both of us. At our age especially, we have beaten so many incredible odds! The people who had the embryo that didn't survive, at least had another one still frozen so they were going to bring her back the next day to transfer that one. SMH though, that we were even in a position to hear all that in the first place. Not good on my fertility center. Dr S is obviously a great doctor with a ton of experience, but I could definitely offer the rest of the staff some suggestions for improvement! Anyway - my protocol leading up to transfer got messed up a couple of times. I was on BCP, but my estrogen levels were too high, so they had me stop, did an ultrasound, and found out I had a cyst on my ovary. We cancelled everything to let me ovulate out the cyst. After I had a period they started me again on two birth control pills that time and then I started Lupron as well. My estrogen levels were still high on the Lupron, so I stopped the Lupron and took cetrotide for 8 days instead. I also started Estrace 3 times a day. About 6 days before the transfer, I started progesterone in oil shots nightly, and also progesterone capsules 4 times a day. Yesterday they called me and said that I will continue the Estrace and progesterone caps, and on the 17th I will decrease the progesterone in oil shots to 1ml from 2, and start progesterone suppositories 2x/day. I have 6 different alarms on my phone to help me keep track of all of this stuff!! So, anyway - just taking it one day at a time. I'm still feeling vague crampy feelings and a tight, tuggy feeling in my lower right abdomen that's been there since transfer day. No implantation bleeding, although that should be happening any time now! Are you going to test early, before your beta? I think I will just so I can be prepared for the result either way. I might start Saturday morning - that will be 5dp.
How are you feeling on the Lupron? I felt pretty normal.

12/16/2015 9:39 AM
O.M.G!!!! My heart was RACING reading what you wrote!!!!!! Thank god for you (sad for the other couple) I am so worried about the same thing (the thawing) but your note made me so excited!!! I'm so excited for you!!! I'm talking to this other lady, who is younger than us, and she just went through retrieval and all the embryos died except 1 and she hasn't heard yet the outcome. Her eggs weren't mature when they retrieved them so they had to mature them in the lab THEN fertilized.....I've never heard of that but it makes me grateful that I've made it this far and same for you.
What did you use before this point? I can't remember what you said. I told you I'm doing Lupron 20units every night. I was worried that when they do retrieval, its when my next period is due but the nurse said that the Lupron will hold off my period. Did you have to take BC pills too? They said I wont have to.
Sending tons of baby dust to you!!!!
Yes, what an awesome Christmas gift this will be!! Mine will be a birthday gift if my little one makes it!
Please keep me posted!!!!! I'm right behind you in my process too

12/15/2015 7:30 PM
I'm doing great today. I got home from the transfer yesterday at around 3:30 and I've been on bedrest since. I know different RE's have different opinions about bed rest, but mine is all for 3 days of bed rest. I have a lot of support from my work, so I have the whole week off, so I am really focusing on just getting this baby to grow, and avoiding all kinds of stress. My husband is being totally amazing. He's so supportive and is taking such great care of me. Yesterday, I actually was way more anxious and stressed out than I expected to be. I woke up terrified of our embryo not surviving the thaw. When the clinic called at around 1130 to tell me that everything was looking good and to confirm my appointment, I actually started shaking and crying, I was so relieved. Despite all that, though, we did everything we could to make it a good day. My husband just went to work for an hour to check on things and then we went out for breakfast, went to Michaels and got some stuff to occupy me during bedrest, and then we did some grocery shopping. After we put our groceries away, it was time for acupuncture, and then the transfer appt was right after that. There was one incident during the transfer that had us both really freaked out, but other than that, it was pretty quick and smooth. They took us back to get gowned up and into the surgery room for the transfer really quickly. We were doing well, taking pictures and laughing and talking, totally relaxed. Then a nurse walked into the room and said "the doctor is just checking the embryo with the embryologist to see if he made it" My heart stopped. I thought we were past that danger at that point. My husband and I froze. The nurse opened the door into the lab a crack and then we sat there listening to this whole conversation about whether an embryo in there was viable or not, all of which we could hear. Then the nurse made a throat-cutting motion with her hand, indicating that the embryo was no good, and I almost passed out!! At this point, I'm sitting on the surgery table, in a gown, ultrasound machine next to me - totally in disbelief that this could be happening. My husband just grabbed my hand and stared at the floor. Turned out, they were talking about SOMEBODY ELSE'S EMBRYO!!! Shortly after we realized this Dr S came bursting into the room, all smiles, telling me how great my embryo looks. It felt so surreal - like a compete nightmare suddenly turning into a pleasant dream. After that, it was very quick and quite amazing. We could see on the monitor as the little tiny white dot that is our embryo was placed in my uterus. They gave us a picture of that. Dr S said the transfer went perfectly, my lining is great, the embryo is great, and everything looked as good as it could look. They made me stay laying down with my knees up for 15 mins, and then I went home. That was it! Totally painless. Since yesterday, I notice some slight achiness - almost cramping but not quite. Otherwise, I feel totally normal. The clinic called me today and told me that I'll be continuing the Estrace 3 times a day, progesterone capsules 4 times a day, and the progesterone in oil shots will be decreased from 2mls to 1ml every night on the 17th. Also, on the 17th, I will be starting Crinone vaginal suppositories 2x a day. More blood work on Saturday. They said that they may be able to detect a pregnancy on Saturday, but it may be too early. I'm going to start home pregnancy testing Saturday morning anyway though. Our Beta will be on Christmas Eve! Hopefully we will get the best Christmas present ever!!

12/15/2015 2:58 PM
Wow!!! That's exciting!!! I'll say a prayer for you!! I can't wait to hear how it all goes
I started the Lupron last night and next week when I start my period, I have to go in for a sono. I'm a little worried because I should start the 20th, which is Sunday and they want me in there 2 to 3 days after to do the sono but its Christmas week and I'm slammed with work. There's no way I'll be able to go in......that has me stressed. We will see.
PLEASE let me know how the transfer goes!!!!!!!!!

12/14/2015 8:55 AM
The day is finally here!!! It's transfer day. I'm excited, nervous, elated and scared all at the same time. I think once I get the call that our embryo is thawed and doing well, I'll relax. Acupuncture is at 1230 and the transfer is at 2:45. I'll keep you posted! How are you doing, HopefulDE?

12/5/2015 8:48 AM
No we plan on implanting 1 at a time. I go in for ultrasound Dec 14th and start the Lupron shots then and then we are tentatively looking at the 15th of Jan for transfer.
We have to decide on what to do with that 3rd one that we don't know if its good or bad.
I'm so happy that you're back on track and getting ready to go!!!
Knowing that I have 2 little girls (on ice) is driving me crazy! I want to get the ball moving now but I know its all a process.
What other steps do you have to do to prepare?

12/3/2015 11:35 AM
That is great news! Are you going to transfer both? How do you feel about the prospect of twins? I'm back on track now. I ended up doing a total of 8 days of cetrotide, not ganirelix, but that did the trick. I stopped the birth control pills last Wednesday, and had what is hopefully finally, my last period for awhile. I stopped the cetrotide on Monday, and had my baseline ultrasound and started Estrace 3 times a day on Tuesday. The ultrasound was fine, so I go for more blood work tomorrow and then we will see from there. I am SO looking forward to the transfer! It was starting to seem like it might never happen!

12/2/2015 5:35 PM
Got my test results back today!!! So we have 2 good embryos and 1 that we need to test and 4 bad. What happened was, the 1 biopsied tube, was damaged in the transport to the clinic so they weren't able to do PGS testing. They can and will, at no charge, resend out to be tested but that means, defrosting the embryo, taking another biopsy then refreezing and I'm not thrilled about that. So, we are sitting on that one for now. Anyway, looks like if all goes well, the transfer will be around Jan 15th!!! I'm happy oh and we found out that they are all girls!! Even the bad ones!!! Isn't that crazy!!?? We didn't want to know the sex of the baby but we read the whole chart and saw the XX to both of the good embryos and were just like "oh well, now we know!!" If makes it more real. I have 2 girls and 1 boy from my first marriage and my hubby has none so he doesn't care, just wants a healthy baby. It's so hard not to get too ahead of yourself with all the excitement.
How are you and everything?

11/23/2015 8:57 AM
Wow, that does stink!!! I didn't know that could happen either. Ugh, well hang in there. I would ask the doctor what do they think. I think about how I was determined to have the retrieval in Aug, with only 2 follicles showing, and I was reluctant to do another but glad I just took a deep breath and waited and did the cycle in Oct and got 11, so, maybe giving your body a break is a good thing, but it's your call. I know you want to move forward. So do I!
We sent out our embies and now have the 2WW for the final PGS testing. My husband will be away the week we get the results, . I wanted us to be together because I'm so fearful for bad news.
Its crazy how many steps it is taking but the prize at the end is all worth it
Let me know what you decide

11/22/2015 8:59 AM
Well, I had blood work done yesterday, and was told that my e2 levels are still high despite the fact that I'm taking 2 birth control pills plus twice a day lupron. So now, I've stopped the lupron, and am going on ganirelix instead, starting Monday. Dr S says this usually does the trick. The main problem is the cost of ganirelix - over $100 per dose, compared to lupron which is $155 for a one week supply. Our other option was to cancel this cycle, wait for my period and start over with a transfer date of late January. We don't want to do that because we've already started over twice, so I don't want to wait only to find that we have to do the ganirelix anyway. This will delay everything a bit as it is. Kinda frustrating! Who knew that preparing for my FET would be the most difficult part of my experience? !

11/19/2015 9:07 PM
That's amazing news!!! Keep yourself busy while you wait for the PGS results. It felt like it took FOR EVER to me! I'm very very happy for you. As for me, just continuing on with my 2x/day lupron and birth control pills. Blood work on Saturday. 3 weeks to go til transfer!

11/18/2015 9:04 AM
I can't believe I just heard! We got 6 embryos! 7 total!! Now we need to go in and do blood work and sign some papers to have the PGS testing. OMG I'm praying!!!!!

11/17/2015 3:45 PM
I'll get the final count tomorrow but 1 so made it to day 5 blastocyst. We read that day 6, 7 aren't as strong as day 5's but we are still hoping for another. Then they will send out biopsy to check chromosomes.......
GLad the meds weren't that bad. It does all get expensive.
I'll update you tomorrow with the final news and the next steps! :-)

11/16/2015 9:27 PM
Any more news? How's it going? I just picked up my Lupron from the pharmacy - so it all starts again tomorrow. I was relieved to find that a 2 week supply was only $155. I was bracing myself for the worst with the medication cost. As for acupuncture - since the goal with it now is to build my lining, and I'm going to have one more period after I stop the bcp on Saturday, I'm going to wait until next week to start again. Saves me $50 that way. We do know that our embryo is a boy. Our clinic had no problem with telling us the sex. Anyway, looking forward to an update on your embies.

11/14/2015 12:53 PM
That's awesome that you have support of your children. My youngest is 9 and she keeps asking when are we going to have a baby. She thinks since we are married and my DH doesn't have children of his own, it's automatic that we will have a baby. I don't think my 14 yr, who is a boy, would care but my 17, she has said, (when she hears her sister asking me "when are you having a baby") "Mom! you can't have a baby! you're too old and I don't want a sibling with downs!" She is so blunt.
Anyway, yes I've been totally taking it easy and last night I was in my 9yr olds room, frustrated with what a mess it was and was trying to help her clean up and I started to feel super crampy and started bleeding a little, so I over did it.
I heard from the doctors and all 10 have made it to day 3 so......praying for day 5!!!!
I hope I can keep all the meds together if I make it to transfer! It is a lot!!! But all worth it. One step at a time. I'll have to review your email when I get to that point to see if they have me on the same protocol. I'm not looking forward to more shots, but again, it's worth it.
My one friend swears by acupuncture and feels its the reason her last transfer stuck. Maybe keep up with it while going through this. It will help relax you at least.
I'm talking to a lady on babycenter (I think I mentioned it) She is 44, going to be 45 Dec and she just did ivf again and is pregnant so its very encouraging hearing success stories.
Oh! Do you know if you have a boy embryo? I don't know or think my clinic tells what the sex is.
Ok take care!!!!!! I'll be thinking of you
:-)

11/14/2015 9:42 AM
10! That's fantastic!! I can't wait to hear how they are doing! The next part is tough - it takes so much patience to wait for results that are completely out of your hands, doesn't it? I felt much better during my stim cycle than I did after the retrieval because I felt like, at least during the stim cycle I had some control over the outcome - just because I was actually doing something. I had the whole week off during my egg retrieval, and I spent it really pampering myself - long afternoon naps and time spent lounging around in my garden. It was great, and I think being so relaxed helped with our positive outcome. I slept most of the day on the day of the retrieval, but other than being sleepy I felt fine. My DH napped with me in the daytime (he had had a long day too - my retrieval was at 6am, so we had to be there at 5:30, plus he had to get up extra early because they wanted him to do his part of the whole operation at home, just prior to leaving for the clinic, and bring the sample with him - what a thing to have to get out of bed at 5am for!! lol He brought me chicken pho in bed that night and we watched movies. Overall, it was a wonderful day. The days following were a bit rough though. I got pretty swollen and felt just generally gross. I'm happy to hear that your retrieval went better this time, than last time. So I received my FET cycle schedule yesterday, and was a bit surprised to find that it is even more involved than the stim cycle! (although hopefully not as costly) I started back on birth control pills on Thursday - this time, they put me on two to make sure I don't have anymore renegade follicles that will ruin everything. I go for bloodwork on Tuesday, and also will begin Lupron injections - 20 units twice a day. The Lupron shots will continue until 12/9. I will stop the BCP on 11/20 - Lupron continues, and I will have a period (hopefully my last for awhile) sometime after next weekend. So, I won't go back to acupuncture until after that happens. I have a baseline ultrasound and bloodwork on 11/25 and then start Estrace - 2 mg 3 times a day on 11/26 (Happy Thanksgiving!) More bloodwork on 11/28, and ultrasound/blood tests on 12/3 and 12/7. On 12/9 I will stop the Lupron and continue the Estrace, and also will begin progesterone in oil shots (ugh!!) at 7pm daily. One more blood test on 12/11 and then the thaw and transfer are scheduled for 12/14 - which just happens to be my middle kid's birthday! So 4 more weeks of injections and general craziness and then hopefully at some point I will be able to transform into just a normal pregnant woman. lol Although I'm pretty sure I will have to continue the progesterone in oil injections for awhile after, if I do end up pregnant. I had no idea, when we started this, that my transfer wouldn't be until over 2 months after my retrieval. But, I'm not complaining, and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to prepare myself for that precious embryo - to make sure it (he? - weird) has the best possible chance to grow and develop into a healthy baby boy! To answer your question about my kids -yes, they all know. My 20 and 18 year olds are totally fine with it - mostly indifferent I think. After my 18 year old graduates from high school in June, they are both going to the same college and will be moving out together so I think they're mostly feeling like it isn't going to affect them much. I think if I had a daughter, she might feel differently. I can understand that it might be weird for a girl in her 20's to have a pregnant mom - given that she could be starting to think about having children of her own. None of my sons are anywhere near to even being in serious relationships, let alone having children, so I guess its no big deal to them. My 14 year old was a bit less enthused, but that's only because he was really looking forward to being an only child after my older two move out. All three of them are very good, drama-free kids though, which I'm very grateful for. There is very little attitude there, and I think they all understand that my DH - their beloved step-father -might want to have just one child of his own. He's been there whole-heartedly for my 3 boys since my oldest was 12, and I know they appreciate that, and want us to be happy. They're great guys - all 3 of them.

11/13/2015 8:41 AM
Hello there, well I had the retrieval on Weds and it went way better than the first time. I didn't wake up in the middle of it so that has made a huge deal for my recovery. Anyway, they got 11 eggs and all were mature and 10 fertilized! We are so happy but know not to get too overly excited. We are hoping for 1 more embryo to be able to go to the PGS testing. So now its a waiting game for us as well. We will hear tomorrow how they all are doing.
How were you with recovery? I felt great when I got home and just took it easy. Yesterday I slept all day and today I'm up and dressed but still feel super tired. I'm so glad I'm not working. The first retrieval I had the stress of remember waking up in the middle of the procedure than I worked the next 2 days! So It took me awhile to heal.
My kids don't know what I'm going through. My youngest is 9. I just don't want them to know and get their hopes up (or maybe no hopes!) but I understand about the hormones. Its a roller coaster ride. Do your kids know? Thank god my DH is so understanding when I get flippy. I always try to let him know when I'm in a bad mood with everything and he gives me my space.
I was wondering if I should stay with the acupuncture until I know for sure if we are moving on to the next step. It's amazing how relaxing it is! I miss it and feel like it makes a big difference!
Hopefully you are on your period so you can move to the next step. It seems like it takes forever!!!!!!
Ok I'll post tomorrow when I hear how the embies are doing!

11/10/2015 10:53 PM
Good luck with everything with your retrieval - its such a strange mix of emotions at this point, isn't it? You really can't go into any of this with any expectations at all. You could have 23 follicles and end up with only 1 healthy embryo, like me, or you could have 6 follicles and end up with 5 or 6 healthy embryos - there's just no telling what can happen. I am very encouraged by success stories also though, and I'm determined to be one!! And so will you! I never imagined though, when we originally decided to take the FET/PGS route, that it would be so drawn out. But, here we are, just riding the roller coaster. I am doing acupuncture, and have been since about a month before my retrieval. I do it weekly, although right now, I'm not sure if I'll do it this week because my acupuncture doc says that the point of my treatments now is to build up my lining - I'm still having bleeding now, but I'm not quite sure yet if this will be my last period or not. If its not, I'm not sure if there's really a point to building my lining. But, I took my Lupron shot at about 2:30 this afternoon, and since then the bleeding has increased, so I'm thinking that they will consider this a real period and start me back up on progestin after my bloodwork on Thursday morning. We may actually be on the road to transfer! Fingers crossed. Its funny how I've gotten to a point where I can pick up a Lupron shot from the clinic on my lunch break and then casually just go back to work and shoot it into my belly and then just go on about my business. What a crazy experience. I do have to say though, I think I'm definitely feeling all of these hormonal highs and lows. I've never felt so overwhelmed and stressed out at work, and I came home today and lost it a bit on my 20 and 18 year old sons because they hadn't picked up the dog poop in the backyard like I asked them to. It's not me to lose control of my emotions like that - I think I scared them a bit. But then my 20 year old told me later that he's been around a few friends of his that are or have been pregnant enough to realize that, in situations like this, the thing to do is to just give the hormonal woman some space, and not take anything personally. lol What a wise kid. Anyway, wishing you all the best - I will continue with the updates and you do the same!!

11/10/2015 9:13 AM
Wow! I didn't know any of this could happen. Ugh! I feel for you.....that stinks but I keep telling myself, that they, the doctors, know what they are doing. Just remember you want to be perfect for implantation, so hang in there another month. I'll say a prayer for you and keep you in my mind. Are you doing acupuncture? I want to do it WITH that meditation site you mentioned.
So, I did my trigger shot last night. I'm showing 5 to 6 follicles on the right ovary and still 2 on the left. The last 2 times I did IVF, I triggered on a weds and had retrieval on a Friday. This time is a lot sooner. I'm really nervous because I had a hard recovery last time (my first time-we didn't make it to retrieval 2nd cycle) and woke up in the middle of the actually retrieval so I'm super nervous. I will talk to the doctor when we go in tomorrow about it. So, with that, tomorrow is the big day! I'm praying big time that we get a good egg. I think I'll know by thanksgiving if my one I have on ice and if we get another one this time is chromosomally ok. It's so hard not to worry and get stressed about it.
I'm talking to a women on babycenter that is our age and has had successful IVF and is pregnant right now! So its encouraging
OK good luck to you!!!! Just remember its all apart of the plan and hang in there

11/9/2015 9:45 PM
Alright, so here's an update - Hopeful, please let me know how your stim cycle is going - I'm rooting for you!! I've actually been feeling pretty discouraged the past few days. Friday, after my bloodwork, they told me that my estriadol level was still high, and that probably meant that I had a follicle (which I learned today, they call a "cyst" when you don't want it, but a "follicle" when you do), despite taking progestin all week. They told me to stop taking the progestin (UGH!!!! all that progestin for nothing!) and come back in for an ultrasound this morning, and low and behold, I had a mature follicle on the left, plus 6 antrals. Also, I started having some bleeding this afternoon, which the nurse said might be normal due to stopping the progestin on Friday - so, like a chemically induced pseudo-period. Or, she said it could mean that I "popped" the follicle/cyst on my own. They are having me take a shot of Lupron tomorrow evening (which she said I may not even need given the fact that I'm having bleeding now - thank goodness they are just giving it to me so I don't have to pay for it!) But, i guess the point of the Lupron is to have me clear out the "cyst" that is causing all the trouble, and start over. Which, of course, means more waiting. Its so weird -I'm actually an RN with 13 years of nursing experience, but this is just a whole different world. I'm not used to feeling so lost and dependent on other people to tell me what to do in a medical situation. So, at this point, I guess they are going to take more blood on Wednesday morning, after the Lupron shot. The nurse told me that, if I continue to have a steady flow from now til Wednesday, they might consider that day 3 of my period, and put me back on progestin then. If not, then I guess they'll wait for my "real" period, and then go from there. Not sure - I'm trying to understand all of this, but in the end, I just told her that I'll just do whatever they tell me to do! At least now, I know that they're on top of everything....and its good to be doing things again. ahhhhh....I just want it to be time for the transfer!!! But every day is a day closer... <3

11/5/2015 9:52 AM
Thank you for the info. I just googled it and found it. Can't wait to check it out!
I couldn't get in this week with my acupuncturist, and I totally feel it. It's amazing how it does really help you feel better and more positive and relaxed. I'm on the waiting list in case someone cancels.
I'm talking to a lady on Baby center and she is 43 and just went through IVF and transfer and is pregnant She talked about all the vitamins (same listed on this thread) and she juices a lot. I wish I had juiced more but I do eat pretty healthy. Occasionally I'll have a vanilla latte. That's my fav and I miss them I also couldn't resist some Halloween candy but I only ate a few :O Right now since I'm in the middle of IVF I can't exercise and that is something I really miss, but its worth it.
Have you heard anything yet with when you'll have your transfer?

11/3/2015 7:41 PM
I've been doing the circle and bloom ivf/iui guided meditation series every morning and I'm finding it really helpful as far as mindset and intention and positive thinking. I really recommend it. There's a specific meditation for each day of the cycle, including the two week wait.

11/3/2015 11:31 AM
Kyra72- how did your pregnancy test turn out?

11/3/2015 11:24 AM
That's really exciting and a really good point about the obstacles and we've made it this far. I keep thinking of it as climbing a latter and each step is another step forward to success. I hope I'm in the same boat as you the following month with getting ready for transfer.
I'm going in every other morning getting blood work and ultrasounds. If all goes well, I'm predicting that retrieval will be on 13th. I'm really trying to get in the mind set of, "I'm going to have another baby. Period" They say the positive thinking and believing what you're thinking and feeling it and to achieve it. I don't want to set myself up for being disappointment but we will see.
Let us know how it goes on Friday

11/2/2015 11:31 PM
There's always hope! I just keep thinking of all of the odds and statistics that we have already beaten to be at the point of having our 1 healthy 5 day embryo! I'm very happy to be getting past the waiting finally. I had blood work today - my first time back at the clinic since my retrieval almost a month ago! The nurse called me this afternoon and told me my levels are still a bit high, so I'm back on Aygestin (which I hate - it gives, me headaches and high bp) until Friday. I'll go for more blood work Friday morning and then my meds will most likely change. It's just exciting to be getting closer! We're within 3 weeks of our transfer now, although I still don't have an exact date.

10/29/2015 7:02 PM
Wow!!! That's such great news!!!!! Hey, you just need the one. Gosh that gives me hope!!
Yes, I'm 43 too and I'll be 44 in Jan so I'm hoping and praying!!!
Thanks for the update and Ill keep you posted as well!!!

10/28/2015 10:09 PM
Good luck with this cycle, and definitely keep us posted on your progress too! What a roller coaster all this is. So, I just heard from Dr. S tonight, and of my 5 blasts, one is normal, and it's a boy! We are very happy and excited. Of course, it would be great to have more to work with, but let's face it - I'm 43, so one normal, healthy blast is a total odds-beating win!! And we really, really were hoping for a boy. My husband is the last male in his bloodline. I'll find out the transfer date soon! Until then....

10/28/2015 11:17 AM
Hi Auracynthia, I'm sure the waiting totally stinks!!! I'll be in your shoes next month. I feel like this cycle to start has taken forever. I start everything tomorrow. I have my baseline appt scheduled for today to just go over everything. This is my third time. I'm doing everything the same like I did the first time. Vitamin's, acupuncture, breathing exercises. (plus the medicine the doctor had me on) The second cycle I had too much going on and didn't do everything like the first so I'm hoping we get another embryo this time around!!!
Please post and let us know as soon as you hear your results!!! So exciting!!!

10/26/2015 9:06 PM
HopefulDE, how's your cycle going?

10/26/2015 9:05 PM
Holy crap, this waiting and waiting and waiting is driving me crazy. Our PGS biopsies were sent ten days ago. My doc emailed me today and said we should have the results "soon", and he'd give me a call by the end of the week. My retrieval was now almost 3 weeks ago. I guess I wasn't really prepared for this anti-climactic lull in the action between the excitement of the stim cycle and the actual transfer! Ugh!

10/20/2015 8:58 AM
Wow That's so awesome!!! I had 5 but only 1 made it. It's still on ice. Getting ready to do another cycle next week. Hoping to get 1 more so we can send both out for PSG testing.
Please keep us posted!

10/19/2015 6:59 PM
I found out on Friday that I have 5 embryos that made it to the blastocyst stage. They were all biopsied for PGS and then frozen. So now we're waiting for the PGS results. Is there anyone who can share their experience with PGS? How many of those five should I expect to have chromosomal abnormalities?

10/13/2015 1:30 PM
Good luck with your transfer!!!
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Share your own and read others' experiences in the following categories:

««123»»

© 2017 DesignRx, LLC, Inc.    •    1.877.416.6600