40 - First time IVF - Thoughts and Feelings
Home | About DesignRx | Provider Resources  
DesignRx Forums
Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

Home     

40 - First time IVF - Thoughts and Feelings Expand / Collapse
6/25/2014 11:26 AM
Wannabeamommy..wow very nice to hear you are preping for the FET! You have been patient and now it is here..Glad everything is going well. July is really already here..just few more days.

I am fairing on well...just thinking twice about my OB....even before I never liked her, she is very taugh and old fashioned. She used to also be the OB of one of my co-workers but she changed OBs because this one was taugh..She is rough with her words and scares you...for example..when she learnt about my tubes...her exact workds were "Your tubes are damaged..you can't get pregnant" with such a non-caring attitude.
So I went to see her last week and she says how I am high risk pregnancy and I have to be seeing her every week until baby is born. I personally do not feel the need of driving to her office every week and I feel its too late to change OBs coz now having to start all over..with my history ..aaarrgg..I do not discriminate against age.....I feel like coz she is old..could be in her late 60s or eacly 70s her metality is not up to date...like when I went to visit her for the first time she did not even do the US..she said she does not need to. Because the RE had done it afew days before...is that normal? I tried looking for another OB but most OBs around are only accepting new patients from July or August..so I am stuck with her...Sigh....sorry I just needed to vent

6/25/2014 10:59 AM
Good morning, ladies. How are you doing, KanaJoy and LuckyCharm?
Quick update...my post op visits have gone very well. My uterus seems to be very clean and ready for a FET. I started the cycle on Monday with Lupron injections as well as Medrol and Estradiol. I'm really excited of finally being here. Seemed like an eternity! If all goes well, FET will be in about 2 1/2 weeks, so secon-3rd week in July. Wish me luck, more my husband as he needs to deal with my mood swings. Lol. I woke up in a very crabby mood and cried over nothing. I just remind myself that is all worth it so I could hold my little baby!
Anyhow, ladies, I just wanted to check in with you and give you an update. Hope all is well on your ends.

6/15/2014 6:35 PM
Lucky Charm ~ Yes. I want you to know that there are people who go through several cycles and then do achieve success. A distant relative (no blood relation) went through this. When she finally got 2 embryos that passed the testing, they transferred and only 1 took. The next time, she only had 1, but it did take. She has 2 beautiful children and didn't start her family until her early 40's.

For me, I am anticipating the possibility that though I have 4 frozen embryos in the bank, it's entirely possible none will pass PGD testing. We already know 2 of the 6 I had, had trisomy (miscarriage diagnosis). So with that in mind, before even testing the 4 we're have, I will be doing another round of IVF to make more embryos. For me, the cost is $6000. No matter if there are 4 embryos or 14, so we are testing EVERYTHING after the next round. I'm hoping for 1 or 2 normal.

If you're wondering, here's the run down on my first round.
The retrieved 14 eggs. 10 were mature. 9 fertilized. 6 made it to 5 day blasts. We waited a month, the did a FET (frozen embryo transfer) using 2 of the embryos. The rest, you know.

I am a true believer of acupuncture. There were changes in my body that I can only explain by acupuncture that never happened through all 4 rounds of IUI. I also believe supplements can help. There's a whole lot of western medicine that never believed vitamins worked for colds and arthritis either...now that there is more data/research out there people are finally becoming believers. Remember as a "medicine" reproductive endocrinology is fairly new. It is evolving all of the time, and we are learning all of the time. We have come a long way, but there is always more to learn and progress is always ahead. There is a lot of data out there that supports supplements. Particularly those that help the body get rid of "free radicals", seem to help egg quality...just as the help the heart.

My best to you! Know that we are all rooting for you and we are here for support! (((Hugs)))

6/12/2014 2:42 AM
I'm so very sorry to hear this LuckyCharm. I didn't have the same experience as you about having abnormal embryos but I can relate to the loss of embryos. I don't know of you and your husband have ever considered going with an egg donor. My husband and I didn't even see it as an option but neither IVF. It's one of those things that you just handle when life deals such cards your way. Our will and determination to become parents is so much so that we went with an egg donor. Now we have 12 frozen embryos. Many people have said to me there are many ways you can be a mother, this is one option. Food for thought, sweetie. Don't give up.
I can totally relate to your RE's office lack of response. We went through that which is the reason why we have moved on to a new RE. This one has great customer service and bedside manner.

Ladies, thank you for all your thoughts and prayers. So I had my surgery this afternoon and turns our the RE removed more polyps. I didn't get derails as I didn't get to speak with him. My husband did but, of course, didn't ask questions that I had. I have a follow up the 20th. So far, I've been feeling well just really sleepy and groggy. Not much pain, thank goodness.

6/11/2014 8:04 PM
I just wanted to say THANKS to everyone for their positive thoughts and words. The past few days have been rough. I got more bad news today that the 3rd embryo biopsied on day 6 also came back as abnormal. :o(

I don't know what to think or how to feel. Total failure. We're going to try to meet with the RE over the weekend to see what, if any, next steps should be. Because of my age and the fact that all of my embryos were abnormal, I just don't know if a 2nd cycle would be worth it and if it would turn out any differently. To anyone out there reading this -- have any of you experienced this or heard of where a cycle yields all abnormal embryos? If so and a 2nd round was done, did the results improve? I've googled and googled and didn't find much encouraging news.

On another note, I'm a little upset with the RE office, and maybe it's just me being paranoid and a bit overly sensitive lately, but they didn't call me when they said they would to give me the last embryo result. I had to chase the nurses down. I also sent an email to the billing person a couple of days ago to square away a 2nd cycle should we go that route and we haven't heard back from her. I just find that unacceptable especially when dealing with something so sensitive.

Thanks for allowing me to vent!

Peace and love to all.

6/9/2014 6:27 PM
Hi 2014mom, no worries. The phones aren't always as reliable or writer friendly. I sometimes wait to get in front of my computer here at work to reply to you ladies. It's a little easier and faster than using the pone or ipad.
Thank you for your thoughts. It really does suck to have to go through another surgery but I am hopeful that this will do the trick and I can get pregnant!
What stage in this process are you in? My understanding that cramping after an ET is very normal and can be a good thing. I had the HSG done too and that was horrible! I felt the cramping during the procedure...not fun! First thing in the morning, call your doctor's office.

6/9/2014 6:09 PM

Was using my phone to type and it messed everything up….

Luckycharm, so sorry to hear about your embryos. Easier said, say positive and keep hoping. You will be very encouraged by reading stories here and you have us to keep praying for you.

Wannabeamommy….sucks that you have to go through the surgery again but I think it's for the better as your RE says..and also happy that they scheduled it so quick. Girl I am with you all the way. Will be praying for you dear

On my end I started feeling funny over the weekend and just now I realize it is cramping. I never cramp during AF so it took me a minute to realize it is cramping. I remember feeling this way after my first HSG. Is this normal? My RE office is now closed and will call in the am..but just need reassurance

6/9/2014 6:03 PM
Luckycharm, so sorry to hear about your embryos. Easier said, say positive and keep hoping. You will be very encouraged by reading stories here and you have us to keep praying for you.

Wannabeamommy....sucks that you have to go through the surgery again but I think it's for the better as yourreassurance.or says..and also happy that they scheduled it so quick. Girl I am with you all the way. Will be praying for you dear

On my end I started feeling funny over the weekend and just now I realize it is cramping. I never cramp during AF so it took me a minute to realize it is cramping. I remember feeling this way after my first HSG. Is this normal? My RE office is now closed and will call in the am..but just need reass

6/9/2014 4:42 PM
Hi LuckyCharm, I'm so very sorry that you are going through this. It's hard to face these things when the desire to be a parent get shattered. You can't give up and I am sure you won't. I have also heard what Dr. Sher told you that there might not be any supplements to improve egg quality. It does not hurt to try. Both my husband and I were on supplements. I am 43 and produced very few eggs. I had two embryos transferred but, unfortunately, I did not get pregnant. We went another round of injections yet I produced nothing. Our third effort was with an embryo using an egg donor but I, again, did not get pregnant. At this time, we have switched RE's to a very highly recommended one (Dr. Peyman Saadat-since you live in CA, may have heard of him) and thus far, has been amazing with us. He found fibroids and polyps and I had surgery in May and when I went in Friday for a follow up, he found that my Ob/Gyn did not get all of it out. Needless to say, I am going to have surgery again this Wednesday. We are now having the RE perform the procedure because my Ob/Gyn won't go back in. Unfortunately, it will be out of pocket this time but this RE is more concerned about his patients and not so much about the financial gain. He will only be charging us $2000 for everything! You are VERY fortunate to have great insurance that covers most of the IVF. Unlike, us, we paid $29,000 last year and this year, it is also adding up.

Anyhow enough about me....give it your all, keep trying and don't give up. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

6/9/2014 4:03 PM
Thank you KanaJoy. I'm so sorry for your loss as well. I will definitely keep you in my prayers.

Yes, loss is so very hard. It was our first round of IVF and I guess, quite foolishly, I was hoping it would work the first time. I at least thought I would have a transfer. We have talked about doing another round, which if we did would start June 21. I live in CA so insurance covers a large portion of it, but there's a lot that it doesn't cover. The PGD is EXPENSIVE, the meds and the anesthesia fees as well, and unfortunately we don't have endless amounts of funds for endless cycles. We will most likely do round 2 and see what happens.

I wrote to Dr. Sher at the Sher institute just to describe what happened and he replied that at my age, 41, only 1 out of eight eggs has the potential to propagate chromosomally normal embryos upon fertilization. He thought the protocol I was on was reasonable and that he thought my outcome was just simply a case of bad luck. He strongly suggested that I do a staggered IVF, but of course, that all comes down to funding.

I wasn't on any supplements, but the past couple of days I've researched and ordered some items that might help (melatonin, DHEA, royal jelly, CoQ10 and L-arginine). Interestingly, Dr. Sher mentioned in his response that there are NO supplements that can help improve egg quality. Not sure if I buy in to that, so I went ahead and purchased them anyway. I also have an acupuncture assessment this week, so I'm willing to try that too.

The lengths we must go to. And to think...it all boils down to luck.

6/8/2014 4:52 PM
LuckyCharm ~ I'm so sorry to hear your news. Loss is so hard, specially when it's something so wanted and so precious. Was this your first round of IVF? Have you and your husband talked about how many rounds you're willing to try?

I've just had a miscarriage and feel your pain. We didn't do PGD testing with the first round and had we done it, though there are no guarantees, we probably wouldn't have had the devastation of a pregnancy and then miscarriage at 9 weeks. Don't lose hope. The testing is there to protect you and your little one to be. Try to breathe between the years and wait to get the results of your last embryo. It only takes one.

May I ask, are you on any supplements to improve egg quality?

6/7/2014 4:12 PM
Nothing good to report. Both embryos were abnormal. There was a 3rd that would be sent off for testing today, but I'm not hopeful. So, there was nothing to transfer. My husband and I are devastated.

I held it together in the RE office, but as soon as got into the hallway, the waterfall came.

So sad. Sometimes life is just not fair.

6/6/2014 5:00 PM
Here's the latest on my growing embryos...

On Wed. day 3 post egg retrieval, the nurse told me that there were still 7 embryos 3 of which were "perfect." I was happy about that, but was really nervous about the others and trying to remain hopeful that the 3 good ones would make it.

Today, day 5, I spoke to the nurse and she told me that I have 2 perfect embryos that are available for biopsy (5AA / 5BA). I'm honestly not taking this as very good news. She told me there are still several possibilities come tomorrow for the transfer, but I'm just not feeling it. She said the other 5 could be biopsied tomorrow (if they grow and make it), then frozen until the results come back. My concern right now is that the 2 I have are going to come back as abnormal. I'm totally freaking out over it. I thought for sure I would have more just based on my original number of 7.

I know it's completely out of my hands at this point. The transfer is scheduled for tomorrow at noon PST. So hopefully, I will have some good news to report if a transfer happens.

All I can do is keep praying.

6/5/2014 2:08 PM
Twinkles ~ Well though Aunt Myrtle is never fun, at least now you can get your game back on! It's OK to hold off on those stims. If you're still taking those vitamins in the hopes of improving your egg quality, keep them up. They are most effective if you've been on them for 3 months. This could be a blessing in disguise. If you haven't been told. Once you take the trigger shot, you should stop the Q10 then...obviously continue the prenatal though. My best to you and keep us posted on your journey. I know it's been a long, frustrating ride.

6/5/2014 2:02 PM
LuckyCharm ~ Great news! Another milestone crossed! Very wise of you to do the PGD testing at this stage in the game. Keep us posted on how things go! Remember, you only need one healthy embryo to achieve a successful pregnancy. Having 7-8 cooking increases your odds for that healthy "1"! I'm thinking of you and wish you the best of luck!

6/3/2014 1:00 PM
Lucky Charm - Welcome, and congrats on your numbers. They sounds great! We will continue to pray that they progress as they should. Enjoy the journey - it can be stressful and such a roller coaster, but hopefully in the end it will be all worth it.

As for me, Myrtle finally reared her ugly head on Friday. I started the BC pills on Sunday and it looks like I will stay on them until July 11th when I start my stims. I am a little sad it is delayed a bit, but the lab at my clinic is closed for a couple of weekends in June, so they are holding off starting stims until everyone is back and ready to go. So, here we go again. Hoping for a better run this time. Crossing my fingers and toes!!

6/2/2014 6:57 PM
Hi Everyone:

I just wanted to post an update on my very first IVF at age 41. I've never been pregnant before and obviously had trouble getting pregnant naturally. My AFCs during monitoring for this cycle showed anywhere between 9-15 follicles. The day of trigger (last Friday) I had 10. My RE predicted that he would get about 7 at retrieval. I had ER yesterday (Sunday) and they were able to get 9 eggs.

Today, I received the call regarding the fertilization and as it stands we have 7 embryos, possibly 8. One didn't make it. We didn't do ICSI. The nurse told me they're hopeful, but would call me on Wed. for another update. If all goes as planned, the ET would happen this Sat. We're doing a day 6 transfer since we opted for genetic testing on day 5.

Of course I'm worried - I just hope these little embryos can survive through the week. At the same time though, I'm being realistic because the success rates aren't that great for my age (egg quality not so great). I've just been praying and hoping it all works out, not just for me, but for everyone who is struggling with this madness.

5/14/2014 8:58 PM
Wanttobeamommy - thank you so much for your response and kind words. I'm so sorry you have had to deal with all you have been through. It is tough and I completely understand how hard it is. I will say some prayers for you that you are successful in your most recent journey. I too had to deal with fibroid surgery before the RE would let me do the IVF. That and another health issue popped up that just kept delaying what I wanted to do. I have to keep remembering what you said about being strong...it's just such an emotional process that I find myself struggling to keep positive and beating myself up for not trying to have kids sooner in life.

kanajoy - thank you also for your response. I'm such a worrier it's hard to look at milestones, but you are so right. Looking back at everything and what got me here...there have been very small successes along the way and I'll try to keep focusing on that. :o)

Also, just a question but is it normal to only have 2 ultrasounds during the IVF process? I had 2 performed before all the treatment began (due to the fibroid issue) and the one I had this week was after being on Lupron for 10 days. The next one I have is May 27 at the end of the 9 days of stims. My calendar indicates further instruction to follow that day (presumably for the trigger shot, etc). I guess I'm just concerned that if something goes wrong during the stim, how would my RE monitor it? With your experiences, does that seem normal?

5/14/2014 2:30 PM
LuckyCharm ~ I'm glad you have a safe place to express your fears. wanttobeamommy is absolutely right, it's perfectly normal. This is easy to say, and very hard to do, but try to compartmentalize the process so as not to be overwhelmed with the "what ifs". In other words concentrate on each task/therapy/treatment as if they're stairs and there is a landing at each milestone reached. I'm not sure if this makes sense, and everyone has different ways of coping with the stress of it all. For me each re-check (lab/ultrasound) was a milestone reached. If all was well, I started walking up those stairs again, 1 at a time. For sure talking about it, and knowing others share in your fears and joys makes it easier. Welcome!

5/13/2014 3:11 PM
LuckyCharm, welcome to this forum. Your feelings of fear are totally normal! I felt and still feel that same way. You invest so much time, energy, money, and emotion into this and there is that chance it might not happen. We also have to stop ourselves and think it CAN happen! Don't get discouraged! As far as the needles, you'd be surprised how your body adapts to them. Lol. I wasn't a big fan but my husband got really good at administering them that I often times didn't feel them. I wish you all the luck. We are all in this together and feel reassured that you can always come to us to vent and ask questions.
I, like you, feel time is working against me. I will be turning 44 in September and have never had a baby. My husband will be 37 next week (yup, he's a young one. Lol) and he has a 7 year old son. We too met late in life and have been married 2 years this July. There are many emotions that come into play and many unanswered questions. We started seeing a fertility specialist 3 months after we got married. We did one complete IVF cycle (unsuccessful), started on a second one but due to low egg production, we did not complete it. Our doctor recommended timed intercourse. That was unsuccessful too. So, we had been told, all along, that an egg donor would be our best bet. So, we searched and got very lucky to find one with similar physical characteristics as a child and adult. She has a great personality and a big heart. She produced 20+ eggs, 14 of which fertilized. We did an embryo transfer in January but that was also unsuccessful. It's been an emotional struggle, as you can imagine but we aren't giving up. We have 12 frozen embryos right now. I am going in for surgery next Tuesday to remove uterine fibroids and polyps and then I will be ready to do another embryo transfer in a month or two. That is my IVF experience in a nutshell. I go through my ups and downs but I want this so bad that I will not give up on becoming a mommy.
You are very fortunate that you have a great medical plan and covers most of the cost. Last year we had a $29k expense for the fertility treatment and it's not over just yet. Life takes us through many roads. We, like you, never thought we would be going through IVF. I thought I would conceive naturally but God has another plan. While going through this, I never thought of an egg donor being an option as I wanted my own biological child. Again, due to circumstances beyond my control, we had to get one. I just continue to pray and hope that this will be my year and I will be celebrating mother's Day next year as a mommy. Always remember LuckyCharm, you are a strong woman and can handle the cards life dealt you.

5/13/2014 2:07 PM
Hi everyone!

I've been an observer for quite some time and finally decided to post on my first time IVF experience. Truthfully, I'm scared. I'm 41 and just began my first IVF cycle on May 3rd. My DH (46) and I met late in life and it wasn't until I hit 40 that I realized I very much wanted to have a family. We tried for several months using OPKs and all that fun stuff and....nothing. I finally got a full work up at the OBGYN who referred me to an infertility clinic right away due to my age and day 3 FSH of 8.5. She initially said it was high, but when we went to the RE, he was very optimistic and was adamant it was not high. We decided to skip IUI and head straight to the big guns since our insurance covers a big portion of it. It took some time to convince hubby because he felt certain it would happen naturally. Well, any woman in her 40s knows time is of the essence! And here I am, now undergoing my first IVF. I never thought it would come to this....

I started off with 5 days of Lupron 10U and dexamethasone then 5 days of Lupron 5U with the dex. I went in yesterday for the u/s and estradiol level and I got a call from the clinic indicating that all was well to continue. Today I switched from Lupron to 50U of cetrotide daily and next week I start all the stims (Follistim, Menopur). Today is the first day of the IM E2V injection which I am totally dreading. I am absolutely terrified of needles. The subq injections have not been bad at all, but I am very much dreading these larger, longer needles.

Like I said earlier, I'm just scared. To go through all this and to think in the end it may not even work out. I'm trying to be positive, but it can be hard. I really feel like my age is working against me. Anyone else feel like this?

4/20/2014 7:55 PM
JackieRB ~ Welcome to the forum. It's a good time to start acupuncture now. They will help and do acupuncture to enhance your treatment the whole time, even now. I also did an FET (frozen embryo transfer). My best wishes to you.

4/20/2014 6:27 PM
I just start on birth control in order to start my first IVF. Can someone give me some advice on acupuncture and when would be a good time to start it with an IVF. I'll be doing a frozen cycle because we are doing genetic testing. Thanks for all your help and information!

4/15/2014 7:39 AM
QGirl ~ Thinking of you this week. Hope you're ok and that your RE appointment goes well.

4/8/2014 8:48 PM
41inSF ~ Thinking of you and hoping your shots are starting out well for you! You're a strong woman, so I'm sure you're ok. Keep us posted! I gave all of my shots to myself through my stimulation phase for the egg retrieval. It was easy because they were SC (subcutaneous). Currently I am requiring an IM (intramuscular) injection of Progesterone everyday, so my DH or friends give me that one. If I trusted my aim, I'd probably try to give that one to myself too...ha ha ha...but I don't (trust my aim that is)! Feel free to ask away if you have more questions about the shots.

2014Mom ~ I literally started cracking up out loud when I read your description about your DH and needles! Too funny!

4/1/2014 4:16 PM
Congrats cann13! I have been reading your posts on the site lately and am glad to hear the good news. I hope your numbers go up tomorrow - positive thoughts.

41inSF- I am also an older and went through my first IVF at 41. Fortunately for me it worked on the first try. I did IVF with ICSI - had 25 eggs retrieved, 15 fertilized and 2 made it for a day 5 transfer. One turned out to be my precious little girl who is 2 & 1/2 now. My issue now is that I am 43 and trying to do this again. Maybe that's crazy given the stats of success at my age, but I wanted to try. I had my retrieval in Dec - this time they retrieved 12 and 4 made it. I only transferred one the first time (BFN), and then did a FET the 2nd time and transferred one (BFN). I just went through another FET with the last two and on Friday my HCG was 38 (questionable level). I had a recheck on Sunday and unfortunately the numbers went down. I'm certainly sad and trying to decide what to do now. I have to go back on at the end of the week to confirm my HCG is 0 (what a pleasant visit that will be). I just don't know if I should even try this again at my age. I'm at a crossroads at this point and doing a lot of thinking. I am absolutely thrilled to have my little girl and don't take that for granted, but would love to have another. My husband is older and not as enthused as I am about another attempt. We will have to have a discussion with the RE next week. One step at a time. I am not telling you this to discourage you at all! Actually I really just wanted to let you know that it worked for me at 41 so it certainly is possible! I just ended up venting since I have this on my mind. Thanks for listening. I wish you the best!

4/1/2014 4:06 PM
@Cann13 this is your miracle! I am staying positive for you dear! Beta will be extemely high on Thursday! Start thinking about your babies! @41inSF welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your losses. Must have been very painful. You are strong to even talk about it. The SC shots are the ones I have done so far, they are not that bad....and if your DH is not a needle person, these you can actually give yourself. The IM progestrone ones are the ones you may need his him..coz I think you get them on the butt...will get mine on the butt so my DH who passes out at the sight of a needle will have to give them to me...My DH is 200lbs 6"2...and he screams when he gets needles..during my SC injections I had to keep reminding him how much we had paid for the meds just to get him not to close his eyes as he gives me the shots..hilarious! I wish you the very best in your journey...and again welcome!
XoXo

4/1/2014 12:20 PM
Good Afternoon 41inSF! Happy to hear from you. Thank you for all the well wishes they have helped. I am so happy and scared all at the same time. LOL. It doesn't seem real yet. Still have to go to the Dr Thursday to do blood work make sure my beta is going up and for some reason I am nervous. Im sure that is normal for all of us especially. But I am trying to take it all in and enjoy every step of the way. Even the nausea.
How are things with you? Have you started the injections?

3/31/2014 9:00 PM
Cann13,
Just saw your other post - congratulations!!!

3/31/2014 8:58 PM
Hi Cann31,
I will be thinking really great thoughts for you over this time! Everyone keeps telling me that you just need one to work, so I will be thinking the same thing for you. Please keep me in the loop on how things are going!

In response to your question, yes, we did extensive testing on my first daughter. She had a knot in her cord and as she grew, the knot got tighter and tighter and eventually just cut off her air. Since the cord is soft tissue, it never showed up as an issue in any ultrasound, as soft tissue doesn't show on an ultrasound. Just a totally fluke instance, but super awful.

Thank you for your tips and ideas, they definintely do help! This process is just so overwhelming and the feedback is so appreciated.

3/28/2014 2:27 PM
Hello 41inSF. Welcome! I myself just started posting a month ago after reading for several weeks. This forum helps you vent and get advice,it's a positive forum at that which I love. Everyone pushes you when you are feeling down.
I read your post and it broke my heart at all the losses you have had. I know that had to be rough, it takes a strong person to keep moving forward and not give up, which tells me alot about you. Did the Dr's ever tell you what happened? If you dont mind me asking. I dont know the name of it but I know there is a gene that some women have and may not know it that your body actually attacks the embryo. Your Dr can actually test you for it. Someone I know had it and there is treatment for it. Just a thought.
About myself. I'm 31 my husband is 30 and we are currently on our 2 week wait from my 2nd cycle.Started our first cycle in January and our 2 eggs did not fertilize at all. Last Monday we retrieved 3 eggs and 2 fertilized(with ICSI) which transferred on the 3rd day because of my history. My right ovary is close to non existing due to a surgery when I was 15 and my left ovary barely develops any eggs and the ones that I do have are low quality. So my Dr thought IVF was our best shot. We have been trying for 3 years before we finally went to see the Dr.
What I can tell you about IVF is you have to have patience. This is not something for someone that has to have control at all times, because you just never know what can happen. Get ready for the frequent appointments to check bloodwork and ultrasounds. For me it was about every 2-3 days, but everyone is different. As much as everyone will tell you to relax its VERY hard to relax but it does help if you can. Are you on any vitamins? Ask your Dr about supplements that can help. I took Fertilaide,Royal Jelly,Prenatal,Ovuboost and a few others I cant remember right now. Surround yourself with positive people. Last thing you need is negative talk or vibes. I also heard about acupuncture. I never did it because honestly I was OVER the needles, but I read alot of people found it to be relaxing.
My husband usually did my injections, but there were a few times I had to do them myself. I found that sitting down was easier than standing up. I dont know what meds you are on, but Menopur can burn a little bit so I used to it that slowly.
I wish you lots of luck and baby dust! If you have any other questions feel free to ask. I hope this helped you a little bit. Have a great weekend.

3/27/2014 8:38 PM
Hi ladies,
I see that no one has posted on here for awhile, but hoping that there is a chance to get some advice and information. I am not usually a participant in online communities (more like a watcher!) but it seems like this is a great and positive spot.
A little about me... I am 41 and getting ready to start my first round of IVF. I had a stillbirth at 35 weeks almost three years ago and had two miscarriages two years ago. I always assumed I would just get pregnant again, the first three chances came pretty easy. How wrong I was! I just never thought that it would come to me having to do IVF at 41.
I start shots next week and would love the chance to get feedback, tips, etc. My husband is completely freaked out about the shots and definitely won't be able to help with them.
If I can be of assistance to anyone, I would love to help. Not sure how I can right now - I am definitely a newbie!
Thank you, in advance, for everything!

10/1/2012 8:44 PM
Hi Mithya,
I do have words of encouragement for you. Just don't give up and try to stay strong and think positive. i was 38 when i entered the iui/ivf world. I went through iuis, 2 chemical pregnancies, 1 miscarriage and then I finally became pregnant at 39 the same age as you and had my healthy baby at age 40. It is a hard journey but you must always remember that all it takes is 1 egg.

9/20/2012 9:02 AM
Hi,

I am looking to hear some encouragement from you all. I am 39 and have already done 2 unsuccesful IVFs. I have low ovarian reserve and that means during both the tries there was only 1 embryo which was good enough to be transferred.
I keep hearing from the doctor that at this age we should be more realistic with my expectations.
I am hoping to hear from people who have had success at this age, it will give me something to look forward to.

Thanks

1/23/2012 8:40 AM
This is my first time posting on a forum as well!
I am 39, 40 in September and began the IVF process about 2 months ago. We've done the transfer and are waiting for Thursday to have the blood test. I really don't feel any different so I don't know what Thursday will bring!
I've followed all of my doctors orders, gone to the monitoring appointments and am now just waiting.
We decided to skip IUI and go straight to IVF, the shots, blood tests and ultrasounds were easy and the retrieval was a bit painful for the few days after, I'm anxious about Thursday but trying not to get my hopes up.

9/2/2011 5:20 PM
Hello! Wow, this is my first time posting too. I am well into my first IVF cycle. I was doing three shots/day in the stomach, did egg harvesting and just did an embryo transfer 1 1/2 weeks ago. Started the "Big Shot" in the bum before transfer and continuing every night with an added bonus of 2 bum shots every 3rd night.

About the shots, and I am afraid of needles, it's fairly painless. I thought I would scream, faint, cry....no. It is more built up in your head than anything else. I thought about quiting when I received my first LARGE suitcase-like box filled with needles, syringes and meds. I trooped on. I thought about quitting when I saw the nail-sized needle for the "Big Shot". I trooped on. Once you're in it, it is not bad at all.

Now it is just the waiting game until the prego test next Tuesday. That makes me want to scream, faint, cry! Good luck to you - I'm hopeful for all of you!

8/27/2011 10:42 AM
I'm starting my 1st IVF cycle as well. i turn 39 next Sunday. I've been on OCP's the last 14 days and today we start Bravelle and Menopur. I"m excited. We've done 3 IUI's and previously had a stillbirth a little over a year ago, so it would be nice to succeed. Like the first responder, I'm trying to not over think and 2nd guess what is going on. I'm trying to be relaxed and go with the flow. i'm a little anxious how I'll do with the meds, but so far I've tolerated most of meds without a problem. Good luck to all.

8/20/2011 8:59 AM
Hi! My first time posting too! I've never posted to an online forum before but this is such a unique and strange experience that I found I needed to share.

I'm 39 and just started my IVF cycle for the first time. It took me a while to get to be accepting of doing IVF, but now that I am here, I am excited and hopeful. I figure this is the best option I have at this point! Did you decide to go through with things?

For me, I'm just listening to what the doctor tells me to so. It seems like it would be easy to second guess every possible decision, but i'm trying to do my part by just relaxing, taking my drugs on time, getting to all the doctor appointments on time, and, oh yeah, having a normal life around all that!!

Hope things are turning out well for you-

7/23/2011 10:01 AM
Hello! This is my first time posting to an online forum! Exciting to think I will be able to share my thoughts and feelings about thhis incredible journey I amn taking. Firstly, I just turned 40 and have been thinking about IVF for ELEVEN years now. Yep, just wasting time! I finally plucked up the courage after two ectopics and one miscarriage. My dream to have a family is immeasurable, but now that I have started IVF I am having second thoughts. I think I'm fearful of the outcome so I am trying to talk myself out of it and quit! Has anyone else had these thoughts? I know I'm my own worse enemy..but I can't stop the negativity. Details: I am on day three and am taking Lupron 20 units, Follistim 225 and Menopur 75. Has anyone heard about 'down reuglating'? I was wondering because my AMH is 0.93 and I don't want this injection protocol to suppress me too far. I just want a baby!!!! That's all.

Best wishes to everyone taking this journey.
« Prev Topic | Next Topic »

Share your own and read others' experiences in the following categories:

© 2017 DesignRx, LLC, Inc.    •    1.877.416.6600